MSci (Hons) in Chemistry (First Class), PhD in Chemistry
European Patent Attorney, Chartered UK Patent Attorney
David read chemistry at the University of Nottingham and continued to complete his doctorate in bioinorganic chemistry at the same institution in 2006.
His research focused on the synthesis and characterisation of analogues of molybdenum-containing enzymes, and he was awarded the Turner prize for the most outstanding inorganic chemistry thesis of his year. He subsequently undertook a period of postdoctoral research in collaboration with a multinational chemical company.
Following this, David spent two years working in regulatory affairs for a large contract research organisation, specialising in industrial chemicals and biocidal substances.
David is a European and UK qualified patent attorney specialising in the chemical and pharmaceutical fields. He is experienced in co-ordinating patent strategies world-wide. His main areas of interest include small molecule pharmaceuticals, biocides, medical treatments and process chemistry.
David joined Potter Clarkson in 2008 and works with clients in the chemical and pharmaceutical fields. In addition to drafting and prosecuting chemical and pharmaceutical patent applications, he has been involved in several patent oppositions in the same subject areas.
Over recent years, David has also developed experience in Supplementary Protection Certificates (SPCs, a form of IP that can provide an additional monopoly period beyond patent expiry for some medicinal and plant protection products). He has been involved in coordinating the prosecution of SPC applications throughout Europe, as well as filing similar patent term extension applications in Japan.
Outside of the office, David has been actively involved in the Biotechnology YES competitions, acting as an IP mentor and judge in the competitions for the last three years.
Examples of Clients:
- AstraZeneca AB
- Betagenon AB
- Cambrex Karlskoga
- Centro Nacional de Investigaciones Oncológicas (CNIO)
- Heptares Therapeutics Ltd
- Imperial Innovations Ltd
- Morvus Technology Ltd
- University of Strathclyde
- Aston University
- University of Lincoln
- EP 2 414 369 (Worldwide patent prosecution for Centro Nacional de Investigaciones Oncológicas)
- EP 2 451 794 (Worldwide patent prosecution for Betagenon)
- EP 1 951 213 (Worldwide patent prosecution for Morvus Technology Ltd)
- WO 2014/068333 (Drafting and worldwide patent prosecution for Cambrex Karlskoga)
- EP 2 531 492 (worldwide patent prosecution for Heptares Therapeutics Ltd)
- LSIPR, volume 1, Issue 2 (2014) – A Call for Clarity