Our patent attorneys specialise in protecting and commercialising innovation in the engineering sector
Although the word engineering has been with us since the 14th century, it now plays a more vital role in modern life and technology than the manufacturers of military engines who originally coined the term could ever have imagined.
For us engineering is the application of scientific and mathematical knowledge to solve problems, whether those problems are mechanical, civil, electrical, chemical or - as is more likely in today’s increasingly collaborative world - any combination of these four disciplines.
Similarly, while engineering may once have conjured up images of ‘just making things’, today’s engineering is much more complex.
Engineering is pivotal to almost every sector and draws on a huge range of technologies, from traditional manufacturing to automotive, defence and aerospace and onto energy, medical, chemicals, food and drink, electronics and IT.
While machinery, packaging and industrial processes still loom large, today’s engineering projects are just as likely to involve AI, innovative new materials, 3D printing, blockchain, bioinformatics and even quantum computing.
This means that the engineering industry requires the support of specialist advisers with direct experience in all these areas. More crucially engineers require advisers who can apply this understanding to the issues and opportunities they face and find them the safest and most productive route through the increasingly challenging and competitive world of intellectual property rights.
Whether you are an established corporate, a growing SME or a young but ambitious company, our specialist multidisciplinary engineering team includes patent attorneys, trade mark attorneys and IP solicitors with the very specific experience you’ll need to make sure your innovation achieves its maximum value.
Together we will:
- Recommend the intellectual property rights that best suit your objectives (something that is particularly relevant to engineering projects that rely on registered designs)
- Advise you as to how to structure your IP rights in the most strategic way
- Register your patents, trade marks and designs throughout the world
- Identify and protect your trade secrets
- Provide patent, trade mark and design infringement and validity opinions
- Conduct patent and trade mark searches and watches on competitor activity
- Defend your IP rights should you be challenged via IP office or court proceedings
- Enforce your rights should your competitors infringe your rights
- Draft any commercial and/or licensing agreements you need to support your growth
- Provide the wider commercial perspective and strategic direction you’ll need to build your business
Although we have experience in every engineering discipline, we have particular expertise in:
- Advanced materials
- Medical devices and surgical equipment
However, we believe there are three additional reasons you should work with our specialist engineering team:
1. Our proven expertise
We don’t only offer the required technical expertise; we have extensive experience of working with a wide range of engineering clients.
This means you will not only receive the very best advice, but also advice tailored to the very specific demands of your technology, your business and your market so that your IP realises its maximum value.
2. Our strategic application
The most important thing for a client is how we apply our experience and expertise to the issues they face.
The depth and variety of our engineering experience allow us to consider the issues you face from both IP and business perspectives. As a result, you can rely on us to find the most effective way to achieve your commercial objectives.
3. A broader range of support
We offer much more than the standard patent and trade mark services. This means you can access all the IP-related advice you need from one source.
Our patent attorneys can help draft and prosecute patent applications and defend/oppose patents.
Our trade mark team will protect and enforce your brand against any unwelcome attention from your competitors.
Our in-house solicitors will provide wider legal advice beyond patents and trade marks. They will help you negotiate and draft the commercial and licensing agreements you need to support your IP strategy and enforce your IP rights if they are challenged.
And our innovative suite of fixed price products is on hand to make leveraging the highest levels of value from your IP quicker, easier, and more straightforward.