Our patent attorneys are experts at protecting and commercialising carbon capture technologies
While fossil fuels still provide most of the world’s electricity, traditional power generation is still the largest carbon emitter.
The world’s governments have pledged to drastically reduce local carbon emissions but, to do so, carbon capture, utilisation and storage technologies will need to be used extensively.
Our patent attorneys have worked on a range of projects involving capture, sequestration, utilisation, mobile carbon capture, direct air capture, oxy-combustion and bio-energy carbon capture and storage technologies.
As a result, we understand what it takes to protect and commercialise the innovation behind both the capture and processing of carbon dioxide.
We can provide this level of advice because we have an in-depth working knowledge of the different areas involved, including:
- The materials needed to capture CO₂ and how they are used
- The way CO₂ is captured
- The way CO₂ is sequestered
- How to chemically convert captured CO₂ into other materials
- How to use carbon capture for specific applications, such as concrete manufacture
- How to legislate for superior and selective CO₂ capture capacities
- How to increase captured CO₂ levels at storage sites
Most importantly, we’ve learned that developing the right intellectual property (IP) strategy is absolutely key to ensuring your carbon capture technology achieves maximum value once it becomes available.
Before we even begin the patenting process, our unique suite of fixed-price consultancy products will identify and define the innovation you have and provide the insight we need to create an IP strategy that maps directly to your business plan.
From there we will guide you through the process of securing IP rights that will allow you to successfully deliver your strategy:
- We will conduct prior art searches to try and ensure patent protection can be obtained, and any necessary Freedom to Operate searches
- We will draft and file the required patent applications (and advise you when and how best to begin your applications)
- We will manage the process of obtaining patents in the relevant international jurisdictions
- If appropriate, we will talk you though alternative types of IP protection if they are better suited to your technology and commercial objectives
- Our experienced oppositions team will defend any oppositions to your patent in front of the European Patent Office or oppose any newly granted patents that constrain your business objectives
Our trade mark attorneys will also be on hand to protect your branding and ensure you are aware of any unwanted or unlawful attention from your competitors.
Our energy and cleantech team is unique in that it includes not only patent and trade mark attorneys, but also IP solicitors.
Once you put your business plan into action, you may find you need to support your IP strategy with a new set of domestic or cross-border legal agreements, contracts or licensing arrangements with your partners, suppliers and customers.
Or, given the high volume of activity expected in the carbon capture sector, you could find yourself in need of experienced litigators should your position or IP be challenged.
Our multi-disciplinary team works closely together to ensure you receive the range of IP and legal support you need to progress and create the highest level of value from your carbon capture technology.
If you’d like to discuss a potential carbon capture project with our patent attorneys, please contact our specialist team today.